UNT Division of Digital Strategy & Innovation 2020 8 Commitments
8 Commitments that create resiliency and ensure a world-class 21st century institution
Three Years from Now? Global Leader in Digital Strategy. Change Student Lives. Build Trust.
UNT Strategic Plan 2020-2025 - Student Empowerment & Transformation-People and Processes-Scholarly Activity and Innovation
1. UNT will ensure an inclusive environment -- Connection to UNT Strategic Plan: - Student Empowerment and Transformation - Expand/develop inclusion and student success practices and policies. What we have done: Undergraduate and Graduate Student Innovation Advisory Committees - All digital resources will be 100% ADA/508 compliant - Proactive and inclusive design. What we need to do next: - Student accessibility advisory committee
2. UNT will be known for world-class online courses and programs -- Connection to UNT Strategic Plan: People and Processes - Increase enrollment at the Denton and Frisco campuses. What we have done: - Created the campus Digital Strategy Advisory Committee -Updated organizational chart and created cross-divisional work teams- New UNT quality matters assurance check and historical review of 900+ online sections - Reimagined intake process and creation of Course-In-a-Box - Created Digital Growth team under a new AVP. What we need to do next: - Optimize prioritization model and ensure it matches with the Provost’s Program for Enrollment Growth (PEG)
3. UNT will encourage experimentation and foster an environment for research driven practice -- Connection to UNT Strategic Plan: Scholarly Activity and Innovation - Support the development of “Tier One Our Way” through targeted innovation activities. What we have done: - Created a new center for digital learning research - Defined four major research areas - Recruited faculty fellows from multiple colleges
Started to tell the world about our findings. What we need to do next: - Finalize a roadmap for our peer partnerships - Publish and present - Optimize online student support lifecycle.
4. UNT will champion high-utility learning technologies that lead to better learning outcomes for Students -- Connection to UNT Strategic Plan: - Scholarly Activity and Innovation - Expand resources and revise procedures to facilitate innovation at UNT. What we have done: - Decentralized technology expertise across all DSI departments - DSI Tech led charge to move away from old hardware-based Video Conferencing to cutting-edge, modern Digital Communications - Partnered research with Packback, Zoom and Mursion- Started saying no to vendors. What we need to do next: - Optimize communication and partnership across UNT and the UNT System.
5. UNT will reach new students and learners -- Connection to UNT Strategic Plan: - People and Process - Decrease time to graduation, and increase and improve services to aid at-risk, underrepresented, transfer, non-traditional, veteran, online, and working students.
What we have done: - Extensive Inventory of all online learning offerings - Multimedia as a standard not special in online offerings - Relaunched UNT Online adding a comprehensive digital marketing research strategy to promote and grow UNT Online programs overlaying current student demographic profiles and labor market data - Digital Growth created a program-level prospect nurturing strategy - Created DSI Enterprise to forge strategic corporate partnerships - Started utilizing market research through EMSI and EAB - Partnered with Coursera and launched first U.S. at-scale online Bachelor’s degree and the Dallas Cowboys for an online MBA + Sport Entertainment. What we need to do next: - Grow outside of DFW - Work towards adoption of a more “stackable” customized framework that will include more and varied product offerings for students.
6. UNT will reimagine the physical classroom -- Connection to UNT Strategic Plan: Student Empowerment and Transformation - Increase best practice curricular experiences for students. What we have done: - Imported the Classroom Support Services group and built a comprehensive DSI Tech team - Inventoried all physical learning spaces - Created a new taxonomy: Collaborative Learning and Active Workspaces (CLAW) - Created the campus Learning Spaces Strategy Committee
Created a new model for synchronous classrooms. What we need to do next: - Create a 110/210-like system for informal and indirect learning spaces such as computer labs and conference rooms - Enhance instructional training for active and collaborative teaching and learning.
7. UNT will be leaders in evidence-based faculty development -- Connection to UNT Strategic Plan: People and Processes. Become a best place to work by providing training, resources, and development. What we have done: - Created cross-divisional linkages with the Office of Faculty Success - Created teachanywhere.unt.edu, the Canvas Boot Camp and Course-In-a-Box training to ensure faculty have online teaching essentials - Started increasing the offerings of shorter, topic-based webinars and workshops - Ensure no faculty left behind - Continue Faculty First Flight and GSTEP. What we need to do next: - Use empirical research to drive services - Ensure role clarity between the Division of Digital Strategy and Innovation and the Office of Faculty Success.
8. UNT will streamline data to allow for shareable, consumable and actionable information -- Connection to UNT Strategic Plan: - Scholarly Activity and Innovation - Expand resources and revise procedures to facilitate innovation at UNT. What we have done: - Built cis.unt.edu – a database to bring together multiple facilities and scheduling information hubs on UNT physical space - Utilized API to bring EMSI data to all online.unt.edu program pages and for customized reports to our academic units - Partnered with Coursera on new learning analytics tools that will provide real-time learning outcomes data. What we need to do next: - Reprogram ERP metadata for online courses and programs
- Gain access to and maximize program-level CRM capabilities.
Questions? Adam D. Fein, Vice President, Digital Strategy and Innovation - digitalstrategy.unt.edu - online.unt.edu - Twitter: @adamfein , LinkedIn Adam Fein,